Post by cliff button on Dec 14, 2010 23:36:03 GMT -5
o.k. the table is built and I've decided some of the details. the surface consists of six panels, each 2'x4', and these are able to be removed. the process of developing the terrain has begun. in the book "tank vs. tank", there is a section which describes the battle of kamenewo between the soviets and the Germans and i wanted the terrain to somewhat resemble that battlefield.
here is a view of panel 1 in the papier-mache state;
here is a view of panel 3 (with 1/72 scale tank) before papier-mache;
Post by cliff button on Dec 27, 2010 1:37:08 GMT -5
well, i got all the seams matched and while waiting for it all to dry i've done some other work on the scenery front.
here is a photo of a test panel i've done to experiment with ground cover for the terrain.
line 1 is the control, with underlying paint. line 2 is mind crafts brown ground cover mixed with recycled tea. line 3 is woodland scenics dark brown ballast. line 4 is recycled tea. line 5 is mind crafts brown ground cover alone. line 6 is mind crafts green ground cover mixed with woodland scenics fine turf weeds. line 7 is mind crafts green ground cover alone. line 8 is woodland scenics fine turf green grass. line 9 is woodland scenics fine turf weeds.
conclusions? the underlying green paint is too bright. each of the ground cover examples has advantages and disadvantages. i'll probably use these combinations to cover most of the terrain.
Post by cliff button on Dec 31, 2010 15:12:33 GMT -5
here is a bit more craft progress while waiting for the seam work to set up well enough to sand.
here are some rock outcroppings made with "Delight" air dry clay and a woodland scenics rubber mold (#C1230).
this clay sets well in a rubber mold, holds texture nicely, and is very light. also in view are some cover texture samples. the three seen are crushed shell, craft sand, and woodland scenics fine buff talus. i like the talus best.
this next photo shows reed tufts i'll use for the riverbed area made from woodland scenics light green field grass and hot glue. i made 130 of them!
Post by cliff button on Feb 15, 2011 19:00:43 GMT -5
almost all of the lanscape is done now, except for touch-ups, and now it is time to start the river. i'm not sure exactly what material i'll use, but i'm leaning toward low tech and inexpensive. painting the riverbed will be interesting...
...as you can see, it is getting difficult to fit the whole table into one photo. i can't wait to finish and start straightening up the garage. one calm sunny day i'm going to set it up in the yard and get some really good photos...
Post by cliff button on Mar 7, 2011 16:24:06 GMT -5
the river area has turned out more challenging than thought, but i think i am muddling through it better than your average rookie! so, after 3 or 4 coats of paint/base and 7 coats of PVA, we have started the super gloss coats of polyester resin to the river areas of the panels. though this formulation dries "tack-free", there can be striations on the surface from the wax which makes it happen. this can interrupt a perfect water/resin surface. these striations can be polished away…
we will be further detailing the river areas between the next few layers of resin.
Post by cliff button on Apr 6, 2011 11:29:27 GMT -5
good question... i didn't really count, but i smoke about 1/2 a pack per day and am cutting down even more from that. i understand the filter thing about "F*gs". our very first customer (Hans, from Norway) spoke the king's english well and while on assignment (offshore oil rig) said "let's go have a f*g" after a meal. this comment raised some eyebrows around the dining table so i had to explain to him that a different choice of words might be better around the states.